The review should be 800-1000 words in length, be typed, and interact with the following questions.
[ theatre choices are here ]
About the Production
Provide the following information about the event. Please attach your ticket stub to support this information.
• Performance Date:
Formal / Technical Criticism (400-500 words)
Describe and provide some analysis (with specific examples) of how each element contributes to the entire presentation.
• What is the genre of the piece?
• How was the narrative presented (what was the form of the production)?
• Describe the style of dialogue used in the production. How did it contribute to the production?
• Describe the set. Is it simple? Elaborate? Does it contribute to the narrative or detract from it? In what ways?
• Describe the use of lighting. Is it effective in contributing to the narrative?
• How do the actors perform their roles? Do you believe their characters?
• Does the costume design effectively contribute to the narrative? How?
Contextual Criticism (400-500 words)
• What was the social and cultural context surrounding the creation of this piece?
• Can you find out anything about why this piece was created?
• Can you find out anything about the reception history of this piece?
• What is the subject matter of the piece, and how does the subject matter relate to the form?
• How did the information provided about the piece alter the way you perceived it?
• Did this production challenge or affect you in any way? What was your overall reaction? Did you feel yourself drawn into the performance?
• In what ways was this production effective at presenting ideas and questions of humanity through narrative? In what ways was it not effective?
• How did this production confirm your already held understandings (prejudices)? How did it challenge your prejudices?
• What kind of new meaning/insight/understanding were you able to take away from this production?